PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The Malaysian authorities have raided three companies implicated in the alleged channelling of funds into the Prime Minister's personal accounts.
Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail said a special taskforce had raided SRC International Sdn Bhd, Gandingan Mentari Sdn Bhd, and Ihsan Perdana Sdn Bhd on Friday.
"Documents were retrieved from the three premises," he said in a statement.
Gani said the special taskforce comprised personnel from the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), the police and Bank Negara.
"I affirm that on July 3, the special taskforce had sent their probe teams to SRC, Mentari and Ihsan Perdana.
"The taskforce retrieved some documents, and handed them over to me for review,'' he said. "I confirm receiving documents related to 1MDB, including those associated with the alleged channelling of funds into Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's accounts."
"I have scrutinised all the documents, and provided advice and guidance to the special taskforce for further action," he added.
On Friday, the Wall Street Journal and political blog Sarawak Report published reports claiming that funds amounting to US$700 million (S$943 million) had been channelled to what were believed to be Najib's personal accounts.
"With participation of various agencies, I am confident of a professional and in-depth investigations.
"I hope all parties will extend their cooperation to enable the special taskforce proceed with the investigation without issuing statements that confuse the public," Gani said.