KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia has assured the relatives of passsengers aboard the Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 that they will be well taken care of and will get timely updates on the flight that went missing 13 days ago.
Malaysia has been "very transparent" in handling matters pertaining to Flight MH370 said Mr Ong Ka Ting, Kuala Lumpur's Special Envoy to Beijing, late on Thursday night.
He was speaking after a special closed-door briefing for the families here by Malaysia's Department of Civil Aviation and Malaysia Airlines.
"We will also give them regular updates and not let them wait too long," he said after the meeting that lasted for nearly two hours.
"The families asked many questions and we tried our best to answer them," he said, adding that the families would be "well taken care of."
However, relatives emerging after the meeting said "nothing new" had emerged and the authorities had seemed at a loss to answer their questions.
One hour into the briefing, one family member came out and told The Straits Times that the authorities had been bombarded with questions they could not answer.
Many of the questions were about the collection of radar data that could help reveal more about the trajectory of the missing plane and aid in its search but the Malaysian officials were at a loss to answer the queries.
"All the families are very angry. Its a waste of our time. They didn't tell us anything new or what we don't already know," Mr Chng, a Malaysian, said in a short interview before he went back in to rejoin the briefing.
His sister Chng Meiling, 33, is among the 239 people on board the Malaysia Airlines plane missing since March 8.
He added that the relatives had been told Malaysia Airlines will fly them to Australia if the plane is found there.