Malacca chief minister says no confirmation that family of 3 quarantined after returning from Singapore have Zika

Chief Minister of Malacca Datuk Seri Idris Haron.
Chief Minister of Malacca Datuk Seri Idris Haron. PHOTO: THE STAR/ ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MALACCA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The Chief Minister of Malaysia's state of Malacca has refuted a message saying that a family of three from Malacca, who were quarantined after returning from Singapore, were infected with the Zika virus.

Datuk Seri Idris Haron said the three women could have contracted a viral infection after returning on Aug 30, adding that there was no confirmation that they had contracted the Zika virus.

"Some jumped the gun and even reported that there was a Zika outbreak in Malacca even before the medical screening has come back, he said on Saturday (Sept 3). "I will be the first one to be alerted if there is such outbreak and so far I have not received anything."

He said the three women, who visited Singapore on Aug 26, showed no signs of Zika infection.

The New Straits Times also reported that blood tests on the women showed no signs of Zika infection.

The authorities were waiting for the urine test results, the paper added.

State Health, Sports Development and Anti-Drugs Committee chairman Ab Rahaman Ab Karim hoped no one would circulate rumours on an outbreak as the Health Ministry had not confirmed it yet.