Indonesia assures that haze crisis won't be repeated this year: Malaysian minister

A lone tree stands out amongst a patch of burnt land, in the haze hit Bangko Pusako district in indonesia.
A lone tree stands out amongst a patch of burnt land, in the haze hit Bangko Pusako district in indonesia.PHOTO: REUTERS

JOHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The Indonesian authorities have given their assurance to their Malaysian counterparts that they will take proactive measures to prevent the haze from recurring this year.

Malaysian Natural Resources and Environment Minister Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said if the haze happens again this year, the effects would be less severe than last year.

This was because measures taken by the relevant authorities in Indonesia included improving the irrigation system in oil palm plantations and cancelling the concession of 20 oil palm companies.

He said this in a press conference after paying a courtesy call on Mentri Besar Datuk Mohamed Khaled Nordin here on Thursday.

"The Indonesian government will also acquire three Bombardier planes to be used to fight forest fires," said Datuk Seri Wan Junaidi.

He said the decision to buy the planes was made after Indonesia found that it was more effective in putting out forest fires.