Drug war reports hurting tourism, says Philippine minister

BANGKOK • The Philippines tourism secretary urged the media yesterday to "tone down" coverage of President Rodrigo Duterte's deadly drug war, complaining that reports on extrajudicial killings were scaring away foreigners.

On a trip to Thailand accompanying Mr Duterte, Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo insisted the Philippines was a safe destination, but said journalists were making the country a hard sell because of their focus on the killings. "Help us because you know, it's really difficult for me to sell the Philippines, especially when extrajudicial killings becomes the topic," Ms Teo told Filipino reporters following the Duterte entourage.

Ms Teo said tour operators abroad were "always" asking her about the issue, citing Asia and Europe as regions where people were particularly concerned.

"I would always say it's safe in the Philippines," Ms Teo added.

"To the media, please tone down a little the extrajudicial killing (reports)," she said.

Mr Duterte was elected last year after promising during his campaign to eradicate drugs in society by killing tens of thousands of people. Since he took office nearly nine months ago, police have reported killing 2,594 people in the drug war, while rights groups say thousands more have been killed in a state-sanctioned campaign of mass murder.

While most of those killed have been poor people living in slums, some foreigners have also died.

Mr Duterte briefly suspended all police from the crackdown in January, after it was revealed that anti-drug officers used the drug war as cover for kidnapping and killing a South Korean businessman.

But, after describing the police force as "corrupt to the core", Mr Duterte brought the crackdown back a month later, vowing to continue it until all drug traffickers were off the streets or killed.

About 5.9 million tourists visited the Philippines last year, compared with 32.6 million for Thailand.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 23, 2017, with the headline 'Drug war reports hurting tourism, says Philippine minister'. Print Edition | Subscribe