Bangkok blast: 4 Malaysians confirmed dead, confirmation of 5th death may follow

Thais offer candles and flowers in central Bangkok, Thailand on Aug 18, 2015, for the victims of bombing.
Thais offer candles and flowers in central Bangkok, Thailand on Aug 18, 2015, for the victims of bombing.PHOTO: EPA

BANGKOK (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Even as Malaysia's Foreign Affairs Ministry confirmed the deaths of four Malaysians in the deadly bomb blast at Bangkok's Erawan Shrine on Monday, it may have claimed a fifth Malaysian life after search teams found part of a hand at the site of the explosion.

Ms Lim Su See, 52, who is related to the other four deceased Malaysians, was pronounced missing as her body has yet to be found.

However, rescuers have found a hand that a family member said could likely belong to her.

"They have taken a DNA sample of the hand. The result will be out tomorrow," said Ms Lim's relative Khaw Wi Kai, 33, at the Police General Hospital's forensic wing in Bangkok on Tuesday.

The four Malaysians who are confirmed dead are Mr Lee Tze Siang and his daughter Lee Jing Xuan, as well as Ms Lim Saw Gek and her son Neoh Jai Jun.

The Malaysian Embassy also confirmed that three Malaysians had been injured in the carnage.

"The Ministry confirms the death of another two Malaysians following the bombing incident in Ratchaprasong District, Thailand on Monday, raising the number of Malaysian casualties to four.

"The bodies of the victims, Lee Tze Siang and his daughter, Lee Jing Xuan, are currently placed at the Police General Hospital and Chulalongkorn Hospital in Bangkok for post-mortem.

"The remains of the other two deceased, Lim Saw Gek and Neoh Jai Jun, have been identified," said the ministry in a press statement on Tuesday.

The Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs also reaffirmed its commitment through the embassy in Bangkok to be in close contact with the local authorities to obtain further updates on the incident.