Another Malaysian hurt in Taipei water park fire

Student Lim Sh Li (above), 23, was the first of two Malaysians reported to have been injured in the Taipei water park fire.
Student Lim Sh Li (above), 23, was the first of two Malaysians reported to have been injured in the Taipei water park fire.PHOTO: THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - One more Malaysian student was reported injured in Taiwan's party explosion.

Wah Liang Jie, 19, was burnt on his face, arms and legs in the blast during the Color Play Asia celebrations at the Formosa Water Park in New Taipei City on Saturday.

The first-year undergraduate at Vanung University had asked the rescuers to hide his injuries from his family while being rushed to the hospital, reported Taiwan's China Times.

"I'm begging you, please do not tell my family. They'll be very worried and the flight ticket is expensive," he told the staff of Taipei City government, who expressed their wish to help him contact his family in Malaysia.

He was admitted to the Sijhih Cathay General Hospital for treatment.

Wah's university had informed his parents, who planned to fly to Taiwan on Tuesday. His mother told Sin Chew Daily that she had spoken to her son over the phone and that he was in high spirits despite complaining of pain.

Wah is the second Malaysian student found injured in the incident. The first is Taipei Medical University student Lim Sh Li, 23.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry said Lim was in stable condition and receiving treatment at Taipei Medical University Hospital for further treatment.

"Through the Malaysian Friendship and Trade Centre in Taipei, we are keeping in touch with the local authorities, to inquire if there are any more Malaysians involved in this incident," it said in a statement on Monday.

At present, there are about 16,000 Malaysians, mostly students, in Taiwan.

The event organiser has since apologised and promised to take full responsibility,

Video showed a massive fireball suddenly engulfing the stage, followed by screaming people running for their lives through flames.

Taiwan's Premier Mao Chi-Kuo, upon visiting victims at the hospital, announced a ban on colour powder events.

The incident is, however, still being investigated, according to reports.

In a video distributed by the government, Mao said the ban would be in place until colour powder can be proven safe.