NEW DELHI (AP) - One of the five men charged with gang-raping and killing a woman is a minor, his lawyer said on Monday as he demanded an age-determination test in what could be a tactic to delay the case from being tried in a fast-track court.
The five charged in last month's attack of the 23-year-old student in a moving bus in New Delhi would face a possible death penalty if convicted. A sixth suspect says he is 17 years old, and if he is tried in a juvenile court he would face a maximum sentence of three years in a reform facility.
The rape of the woman, and the brutal beating that led to severe organ failure, has set off an impassioned debate about what India needs to do to prevent such tragedies. Protesters and politicians have called for tougher rape laws, police reforms and a transformation in the way the country treats women.
The five men charged with various crimes in the incident live in a slum in New Delhi, and were riding in an off-duty bus that picked up the woman and a male companion late in the evening of Dec 16 in a posh part of the capital. Both were beaten severely and thrown off the bus. The woman died two weeks later of the injuries in a Singapore hospital.
Mr Manohar Lal Sharma, the lawyer for one of the five charged men, Mukesh Singh, said at a court hearing on Monday that his client is under 18, and that police documents indicating Singh is 26 had been "manipulated".
"If you could just see his face, he is only a child," Mr Sharma told The Associated Press.
The hearing has been closed to the media under a gag order placed by the magistrate. The defendants have been brought to the court with their faces masked, and authorities have not released photos of the accused.
Mr Sharma said Singh had added several years to his age to get a driver's license. He said he asked the court to order a medical test to determine his client's age, but that the court did not indicate whether it would meet his request.
The case was expected to be shifted to the fast-track court on Monday to avoid the delays that plague most trials in India. But the court addressed only procedural matters and paper work at the hearing, and the case was not handed over.
The next hearing was scheduled for Thursday, but it was not clear whether the case would be handed over then to the fast-track court, which was created this month to deal with crimes against women.
Last week, Mr Sharma made a series of inflammatory and often-contradictory statements, saying that police had beaten the five charged suspects and placed other prisoners into their cells to threaten them with knives.
Monday's hearing had been set for last week but was rescheduled when it turned out that the official list of charges was not completely legible.