What's News: December 29, 2015

Experts say tough action with no exemptions is needed to ease air pollution in Delhi, one of the world's most polluted cities.
Experts say tough action with no exemptions is needed to ease air pollution in Delhi, one of the world's most polluted cities.PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

TOP OF THE NEWS

Tokyo, Seoul in sex slave deal

Longstanding sour sentiments over a dispute on wartime sex slaves were cleared up yesterday as US allies Japan and South Korea reached a landmark agreement. With Japan offering a "heartfelt apology" and a 1 billion yen payment (S$11.7 million) to Korean women forced into Japanese brothels, the two countries hailed a "new era".


TOP OF THE NEWS

Harder to switch schools

Students entering Secondary 1 are finding it harder to transfer to another school, following a new directive from the Ministry of Education that bars secondary schools from taking in transfer pupils whose Primary School Leaving Examination scores did not meet their cut-off points.


Customers thronging an Apple store in Dalian at its opening in October.
Customers thronging an Apple store in Dalian at its opening in October. PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

WORLD

Rise of smaller Chinese cities

The future of consumption in China is increasingly being driven by its smaller cities, according to a report by consulting firm BCG and Alibaba unit AliResearch. Firms will have to reach out to high concentrations of affluent households emerging in cities classified as fourth tier or lower.


WORLD

Delhi draws fire over exemptions to car curbs

Delhi wants to improve its air quality, but has exempted women drivers and motorcyclists from a plan to restrict private car use. This drew sharp criticism, as experts said tough action with no exemptions was needed to ease air pollution in one of the world's most polluted cities.


OPINION

Mixed signals from Australia

Australia and Asian countries are sending mixed messages to Washington: Their rhetoric suggests they want a muscular response to Beijing, but their actions do not.

It's time to be more frank, says Professor Hugh White in the By Invitation column.


HOME

Residents welcome DTL2

A steady stream of people boarded the new Downtown Line 2 at Bukit Panjang Station yesterday, the first work day since the line's opening. Many residents of the town, which has been hit by transport woes, were glad to have a new transport option.


HOME

Visit from a special friend

Chicago-based Mr Peter Mui gave the gift of life to a stranger in Singapore when he donated stem cells to assistant parish priest Luke Fong, who was diagnosed with leukaemia in 2013. Mr Mui and his family are visiting Father Luke.


BUSINESS

Accounting's Big 4 dominate

Bigger is better - at least for the accountancy profession. A new report by the Singapore Accountancy Commission found that the "Big Four" - KPMG, PwC, EY and Deloitte - together have a market share of 67 per cent. The remaining 33 per cent is shared between 697 smaller firms.



PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

SPORT

Tiger at the crossroads

Former world No. 1 golfer Tiger Woods (photo) turns 40 tomorrow, looking back at a superb run but ahead at an uncertain future blighted by injury and poor form. Now recovering from a third back operation with no timetable for another comeback, he reflects on the possibility that his great career may be over.


SPORT

City up next in Foxes' hunt

Surprise high-fliers Leicester City's 10-game English Premier League unbeaten run ended on Boxing Day at Liverpool, and manager Claudio Ranieri hopes hotshots Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez are fully fit for title rival Manchester City's visit.

Manuel Pellegrini knows the rest of his defence must step up, with captain Vincent Kompany out.


LIFE

Zhang Ziyi has a baby girl

Actress Zhang Ziyi and rocker Wang Feng welcomed a daughter in the United States on Sunday, she announced on Weibo. Zhang, 36, and Wang, 44, are reported to have married in Hong Kong in May.

The child is reported to be her first, while he is said to have two daughters from previous relationships. 

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on December 29, 2015, with the headline '(No headline) - 5EACOMFORT29'. Print Edition | Subscribe