Tokyo nullifies Okinawa's move to ban work on US base

Demonstrators protesting against Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's security Bills and his nuclear policy in Tokyo last month. Okinawa has been battling Tokyo over the relocation of the Futenma airbase.
Demonstrators protesting against Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's security Bills and his nuclear policy in Tokyo last month. Okinawa has been battling Tokyo over the relocation of the Futenma airbase.PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

TOKYO • The Japanese government yesterday overturned a move by Okinawa's governor to stop work on a United States base relocation site, marking the latest fight in a long-running battle over the controversial project.

"We have decided to nullify (Okinawa's) cancellation of the approval," Land and Infrastructure Minister Keiichi Ishii said, after a Cabinet meeting yesterday.

The proposal to move the Futenma airbase, first mooted in 1996, has become the focus of anger among locals, who insist it should be shut and a replacement built elsewhere in Japan or overseas. Earlier this month, outspoken Okinawa Governor Takeshi Onaga revoked approval for work on the base in Japan's southern-most island chain.

But Tokyo's decision means that efforts to move the base from a residential area to the secluded Henoko district would press on.

The latest chapter is sure to inflame tensions between Tokyo and Okinawa, which reluctantly hosts more than half of the 47,000 American military personnel stationed in Japan. Residents have bitterly complained that the rest of Japan must share the burden of hosting US military facilities, along with accidents and crimes committed by US service members.

The Japanese media has reported that Okinawan officials are considering legal action to halt the project. Work in Henoko is only in the initial stages, with crews setting up sea floats and a makeshift bridge necessary for landfill work.

There is widespread agreement that Futenma's current site - in the middle of a crowded urban area where US aircraft are a nuisance to thousands of locals - is not appropriate.

The US has said that it will not close the Futenma base until a replacement facility is ready.

Opponents said the existing plan to move it to Henoko, which has untouched nature, would seriously damage nearby coral reefs and the delicate habitat of the dugong, a rare sea mammal.

"This decision is an insult to the people who have worked so hard, for so long, to have their voices heard," said Greenpeace Japan oceans campaigner Kazue Komatsubara. "It is shocking that the government is failing to protect Japan's endangered species and trampling over the wishes of so many Okinawans."

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on October 28, 2015, with the headline 'Tokyo nullifies Okinawa's move to ban work on US base'. Print Edition | Subscribe