SEOUL - South Korea on Wednesday reported its first death from the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers) in eight days, raising the death toll to 34.
The number of people diagnosed with the potentially deadly disease remained at 186 as the country saw no new cases over the past three days, Yonhap news agency reported, quoting the Ministry of Health and Welfare.
Out of the 186 diagnosed, only 33 remain hospitalised while 119 have been discharged.
A total of 811 people are currently in isolation as suspected cases, the report said. The number rose from 674 on the previous day.
Since the country reported its first case on May 20, over 16,500 people have been subject to isolation for possible infection. So far, 15,761 of them have been released after they showed no symptoms of Mers for more than the known maximum period of 14 days for the disease, said Yonhap.