Hong Kong authorities set to clear Mong Kok 'Occupy' site on Nov 25

People walk through an area occupied by pro-democracy activists on Nathan Road, a major route through the Mongkok district of Hong Kong on Nov 19, 2014. -- PHOTO: AFP
People walk through an area occupied by pro-democracy activists on Nathan Road, a major route through the Mongkok district of Hong Kong on Nov 19, 2014. -- PHOTO: AFP

HONG KONG - Hong Kong authorities may start on Tuesday to clear the site in the Mong Kok district where pro-democracy protesters have camped out for more than a month in their "Occupy" campaign to fight for universal suffrage.

The protesters, who have been occupying a long stretch of Nathan Road in Mong Kok, have been formally notified that a clearance operation may take place on Tuesday afternoon, Radio Television Hong Kong reported on Monday.

The High Court had granted a taxi drivers' group an injunction earlier in November to remove barricades put up by the protesters in the Mong Kok site as well as the main protest site in Admiralty on Hong Kong Island.

Notices of an injunction authorising the removal of barricades have also been posted in the occupied area, and in local newspapers, RTHK said.

It cited a lawyer who represents the taxi drivers' group, Phyllis Kwong, as saying that protesters who obstruct bailiffs from removing barricades will be arrested for contempt of court.

Bailiffs had cleared the area outside CITIC Tower in Admiralty last week with little resistance from the mostly-student protesters.

Tommy Cheung, a member of the Federation of Students - one of the main organisers of the Occupy movement, said protesters were "ready" for the clearance in Mong Kok, RTHK reported.

The movement, which drew more than 100,000 at its peak in late September to early October, has attracted rising public resentment over the traffic gridlock and other inconveniences, as well as protester fatigue.

A poll by the Chinese University of Hong Kong earlier in November found that over two-thirds of those surveyed said the protesters should end their occupation immediately.

The protesters are demanding open nominations in the city's Chief Executive election in 2017.

Beijing has said it will allow a vote in 2017, but only for candidates screened by a committee.