Two die in out-of-control Aussie bushfire

SYDNEY • Two people were confirmed killed and a third is feared dead as a bushfire blazed out of control in South Australia yesterday.

Officials said more than 300 firefighters were tackling the blaze north of the city of Adelaide, and reinforcements were on their way.

The blaze swept across more than 85,000ha of cropland, destroying numerous buildings and injuring an unspecified number of people, including firefighters, the Australian Associated Press reported.

The blaze remained out of control as night fell and several towns were threatened, it said.

The deaths were confirmed by State Premier Jay Weatherill, who called it the "worst of news".

The fire service said the blaze continued to burn on a 40km front. "This is a particularly nasty fire," said the chief fire officer.

Bushfires are common in Australia's hotter months. Just last week, four people, including three Europeans, were killed in one of a series of wildfires sparked by lightning in Western Australia.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on November 26, 2015, with the headline 'Two die in out-of-control Aussie bushfire'. Print Edition | Subscribe