Call for UN to support MH17 tribunal

SYDNEY • Australia urged the United Nations Security Council yesterday to support the establishment of an international tribunal to prosecute those suspected of downing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine last year.

Malaysia, part of the 15-member council until next year, distributed a draft resolution on the tribunal last week, which it hoped could be adopted later this month. It is a joint proposal with Australia, the Netherlands, Belgium and Ukraine.

However, the move has been dismissed by Russia, which is a veto-wielding permanent member on the 15-member council, along with France, Britain, China and the US. Russia has the option of blocking the proposal if it is put to a vote.

"The establishment of an international criminal tribunal... would send a clear message that the international community will not tolerate acts that threaten international peace and security by endangering civil aviation," Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said.

"A tribunal established by the council would ensure broad international support for prosecutions and would maximise the prospects of securing international cooperation, which will be necessary for an effective prosecution," she said.

Flight MH17 was shot down a year ago with 298 passengers on board, two-thirds of them Dutch. It crashed in Ukrainian territory held by Russian-backed separatists.

Ukraine and Western countries accuse rebels in eastern Ukraine of shooting down the plane with a Russian-made missile. Moscow has rejected accusations that it supplied the rebels with SA-11 Buk anti-aircraft missile systems.

An emotional memorial ceremony was held at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport last Saturday ahead of the first anniversary of the disaster on Friday.


A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 15, 2015, with the headline 'Call for UN to support MH17 tribunal'. Print Edition | Subscribe