At least two dead as Australia bushfire burns out of control

A wildfire burns in Australia on Nov 15, 2015.
A wildfire burns in Australia on Nov 15, 2015. PHOTO: REUTERS

SYDNEY (AFP) - Two people were confirmed killed and a third feared dead as a bushfire blazed out of control in South Australia on Wednesday (Nov 25), officials said.

More than 300 firefighters were tackling the blaze north of the city of Adelaide and reinforcements were on their way.

The blaze swept across more than 85,000 hectares of cropland, destroying numerous buildings and injuring an unspecified number of people including firefighters, the Australian Associated Press reported.

The blaze remained out of control as night fell and several towns were threatened, it said.

The deaths were confirmed by South Australia state Premier Jay Weatherill, who called it the "worst of news".

The Country Fire Service said the blaze continued to burn on a 40 km front, with a perimeter of about 211 km.

"This is a particularly nasty fire. It will run right through the night and into tomorrow," said CFS chief officer Greg Nettleton.

"It's going to be a long haul for many of our crews."

Bushfires are common in Australia's hotter months. Earlier this month at least four people died in fires raging in parts of Western Australia.