50,000 guns hauled in under Aussie amnesty

(From right) Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Justice Minister Michael Keenan and Australian Federal Police Commissioner Andrew Colvin yesterday with some of the guns surrendered.
(From right) Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Justice Minister Michael Keenan and Australian Federal Police Commissioner Andrew Colvin yesterday with some of the guns surrendered.PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

SYDNEY • More than 50,000 guns - a fifth of all illegal guns in the country - were handed in under Australia's first national firearms amnesty since a mass shooting 20 years ago, officials said.

The three-month operation ended last weekend, just before retired accountant Stephen Paddock massacred 58 people in Las Vegas in an act that propelled gun control back into the global spotlight.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said there had been "an overwhelming response" to the amnesty.

"The killer there (in Las Vegas) had a collection of semi-automatic weapons which a person in his position would simply not be able to acquire in Australia," he told reporters yesterday.

"Australia has some of the strongest gun laws in the world, but illicit firearms remain a threat to community safety," he said.

"As a result of this successful amnesty, there are now 50,000 fewer firearms on the streets."

Ahead of the amnesty, the government estimated that there were up to 260,000 illicit weapons in the community.

The amnesty allowed people to hand in unregistered or unwanted firearms with no questions asked. Outside this, they face fines of up to A$280,000 (S$297,000) or up to 14 years in jail for illegal gun possession.

The firearms surrendered ranged from historic pre-1900 weapons and guns from both world wars to modern semi-automatics, a homemade machine-gun and even a rocket launcher.

The amnesty was prompted by fears of terrorism and an influx of illegal guns that has seen a spate of gangland shootings.

Australian officials have grown increasingly concerned over the threat of extremist attacks, and say they have prevented 13 on home soil since September 2014, although several have taken place.

While individual states have periodically run amnesties before, this was the first national programme since 35 people were killed at the historic Tasmanian colonial convict site of Port Arthur in 1996.

The massacre, where lone gunman Martin Bryant went on a rampage armed with semi-automatic weapons, shocked Australia, and then Prime Minister John Howard swiftly enacted tougher gun laws, including bans on certain weapons and licences.

More than 600,000 weapons were destroyed in the aftermath of the Port Arthur attack, during a buy-back in which compensation was offered.

Gun control measures continue to have strong public support in Australia.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on October 07, 2017, with the headline '50,000 guns hauled in under Aussie amnesty'. Print Edition | Subscribe